Skip to main content

Wasabiya Japanese Sushi Cafe, Campbell River BC. ( 8.5/10)

  I've been to Wasabiya quite a few times. I wouldn't say I frequent the place. It's very popular and sometimes hard to get a seat in the small establishment unless you reserve ahead of time, and when the urge for sushi strikes I want it now. Most recently Whiskey I treated ourselves last Thursday.

 There is good reason why this small sushi joint is always bustling. Every single time I've dined there the quality and freshness of the ingredients is superb. The consistency is one of many reasons why locals flood to Wasabiya. The friendly, casual-but-not-too-casual service and atmosphere is another. With just a handful of tables and seats for about six people at the bar, one could almost imagine being in a small side-entrance sushi den somewhere in Japan.

 What brings me back time and time again however, is one of the most refreshing delicious dishes I have ever had the pleasure to consume. The popular, almost legendary smoked salmon salad. Cold smoked wild salmon artfully wrapped around bundles of cool cucumber and crisp daikon radish, then served in the middle of a bowl surrounded by an ample amount of house made ginger dressing. Oh my god, the dressing! A culinary masterpiece, I have tried to deconstruct the flavour components in my mouth while savoring this concoction, but never satisfactorily. It's the very exemplification of Umami.

 I start with the salad, then after consuming the perfect portion, I reserve the dressing as to not waste a single dab of it. When the sushi rolls arrive I use the dressing as a sauce for the sushi. I'm not the only one either, the servers are never surprised when stop them from taking my salad bowl away. When it come to maki, I have a few favourites, but I tend to mix it up depending on my mood. Highly recommended are the Umeshisho roll (Shiso leaf with plum and cucumber) and the salmon skin roll (I'm a fan of these when done well, which they do here, and not at all a fan when done poorly). Also of notable mention are the pacific roll (it's got cream cheese in it which i understand isn't for everyone and strays from traditional, but I really dig it) and the spider roll (soft shell crab).

 I love sitting at the sushi bar at Japanese restaurants, but especially here at Wasabiya. Chef and owner Takahiro Matsuzawa works with focused precision and occasional warm banter with customers while preparing what looks to be a landslide of both dine-in and take-out orders. The raw fish and other items in the clear display refrigerator always look to be of upmost quality and freshness and adds to the tantalizing experience.

 I'm sure I'll return to Wasabiya many times to come, and although I slightly hesitate to share this post for fear of making the busy cafe ever more popular, it deserves all the praise.

 -Cheers, and bon appetit,
 D

 8.5/10
 (10s are a fabled score and while i almost gave it a 9, I don't want to convey that there is no room for improvement.)



I can not disagree with anything that Chef D has said above. Wasabiya is by far my favorite sushi establishment on the north island.

For myself I also started with the Salmon Salad. It is worth mentioning here that you will not see me order Salmon very often, normally speaking I find it a strong fish that I am not always a fan of, although I am constantly striving to try it when done well.

Wasabiya does it well.

As with Chef D I reserved the sauce from my salad for my upcoming rolls. I also ordered the Gyoza for us to share. It is not one of Chef D's favorite things but I can not seem to go for sushi without having a few of the little dumplings.

When the maki came, I had a spicy red tuna roll, Lobster chop roll, Cucumber roll and the local favorite the Campbell River Roll.

Campbell River Roll is a combination of lobster and Salmon and Dungeness crab. I can not think of anything more indicative to the small town that we live in on the water.

Wasabiya never dissapoints. I love a place that I know the food will be of a certain quality all the time but still pleases like it was the first time I was tasting it all.

Wasabiya pushes the limits  away from the traditional with rolls like the above mentioned Pacific and Campbell River Roll, but keeps to the traditional with tiny details like putting wasabi in the cucumber roll. This is very traditional and I feel a very nice touch.

I cant say a bad thing about our dinner on Thursday and I look forward to going back again.  There is a seafood ramen I am dying to try.

8.5/10  small loss of points as the restaurant is very hot and the washrooms are limited.

Cheers and Bon Appetit

- Whiskey G

                                             SPICY TUNA TOP LEFT, LOBSTER CHOP BOTTOM LEFT and
                                                CUCUMBER ROLL TOP RIGHT
                                                   CAMPBELL RIVER ROLL

                                                    THE BEAUTIFUL SALMON SALAD

Wasabiya Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tidal Taco Shack, Qualicum Bay, BC.

 This taco joint has been on the Vagrant Foodies “Must Try” list for some time now. We have been hearing good things for a couple years now.   We waited 45 minutes for tacos at a beach-side parking lot, on a hot day with no shade to be found.   To be fair, the wait is always long, and they have a sign posted right near the window stating the wait is usually 30 minutes to an hour. It’s a popular place.     It’s truly a shack. A tiny shed like structure with a dozen or so picnic tables out front of it. We stepped to the window and browsed the menu which consists or six or so tacos, all of which can be made into burritos or salads as well.   We decided on four tacos between the two of us: one prawn, one fish, and two beef.   When we got there all the tables were occupied, so we sipped Mexican soft drinks and sat on the rocks and watched the ocean surf. It’s quite a beautiful location.   Although it it a busy place, I was struck by how slowly they get food out. In that

Chicken 649, Victoria BC

Chicken 649 Stark white walls, Simple black lettering on the outside of the building. Looks and feels like a fried chicken joint. So what is all the fuss about? When D and I walked up to Chicken 649 which was a bit out of the way from our usual haunting pattern in Victoria, my first thought was… really? I have learned though never to judge, some of the best things I have eaten have come from very dingy little places. We took a table in the corner and I ordered the classic recipe 8 piece chicken with a corn salad, pickles, and a dipping sauce. First of all the chicken came in a pizza box presentation which I thought was really neat, pieces lined up in a row and below them the sauces and the salads, the pickles were Daikon!  This thrilled me as I have an unhealthy addiction to the stuff. It is hard to say much about fried chicken other than it is either good or its not, This was great. The batter was crunchy, had been fried for just the right amount of time as to be dark not

Gowlland Harbour Resort. Quadra Island BC (2.5/10)

I hate complainers. Really truly, I dislike people that complain every day of their lives, send food back at restaurants and make a scene. Well, at Gowlland Harbour resort on Quadra Island BC last Sunday night, we, the foodies were complainers. The scene was beautiful, Gowlland has an excellent venue in Quathiaski Cove right on the water. You travel down a goat trail driveway surrounded by trees giving it the feeling of a grove. The cabins are nestled separately around the main building which contains the restaurant. This was not our first visit to Gowlland, but it was our first visit there alone where we could eat in our “style”. My first thought walking in was that it was very quiet, 7 pm and only a few tables full. This in itself was not a big deal, it was Sunday and Quadra is a small place. Service was friendly and eager to take our drink order, this was all good. We had been looking at the menu on line and had a relative idea as to what we were going to eat. Starte