Skip to main content

Cow Bay Cafe Prince Rupert B.C (8.5/10)

Recently I went rogue on Chef D and went to visit a girlfriend of mine in Prince Rupert B.C.
 I was thrilled for the mini vacation into a part of the province that I had not been to before, but above that, Prince Rupert sits right on the ocean and is renowned for its seafood. I really love seafood.

I have a secret to confess, I am on the quest for the perfect seafood chowder. I mean really on a quest. If a place has it on the menu I have to add it to my meal somehow. Its almost compulsive at this point.

So my girlfriend knows this of me and she already had a plan in place for us when I arrived. She had earmarked three places with chowder that she insisted I try to see if maybe the perfect chowder resides in the little fishing town.

On my first morning there we set off walking down the many many MANY hills into a part of Prince Rupert called Cow Bay.  True to its name indeed! There are cow prints and small cow figures around wherever you look, acutally It gave a charm that I would normally have not appreciated but in this place it seemed to work.
  I give you  the first place on my assigned chowder quest. The Cow Bay cafe .

At first glance outside I expected booths and well chilled glasses of pop. I was open to the idea that they had a wonderful seafood chowder, but I was confounded as to how this was my friend's favourite place to eat . She has very refined taste.

I walked in and understood . The menu was scrawled in an artisan fashion on a chalk board in the small eating area.
From the ceiling hung chandeliers made from wine glasses and the view of the harbor was stunning to say the least.

We were greeted warmly and seated right away. The menu looked amazing and ever so enticing! Enticed or not,  I was there for one purpose. (we were going to a few other places after this) .

We order a bottle of prosecco and two bowls of the seafood chowder.  Prosecco came prior to the soup and we were having a lovely liquid lunch when the entree arrived.
The presentation sold me even before I had a chance to taste. The shellfish were presented in the shell tucked among the chunks of salmon and white fish. Mussels and clams open and inviting. The broth was a beautiful rich cream with all the right notes of black pepper, garlic, onion, dill and what I am sure is " secret spice ".

The seafood was complimented by white potato and small amounts of veg. It was a smash hit. So good and my friend was right on with the prosecco pairing. I don't normally drink bubbly but the match was perfect.

Cow bay Cafe, well done! you have hit my top 5 list for seafood chowders thus far. Not perfection, I am truly not sure what that will look like but you were an amazing little gem.

I hope to get back there one day as the rest of the menu looked absolutely stellar and the wine list seemed to match.  Maybe next year I will drag Chef D along for the ride.

Cheers and Bon Appetit

- Whiskey G.
  8.5\10
 I did not get to try enough to give a more rounded score, I believe this is fair based on what I saw and tasted. bravo
Inside view of Cow Bay Cafe

Wine selection looked stellar 

Look at all the bits! And there was DILL. A must! 

I love the chandelier. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tidal Taco Shack, Qualicum Bay, BC.

 This taco joint has been on the Vagrant Foodies “Must Try” list for some time now. We have been hearing good things for a couple years now.   We waited 45 minutes for tacos at a beach-side parking lot, on a hot day with no shade to be found.   To be fair, the wait is always long, and they have a sign posted right near the window stating the wait is usually 30 minutes to an hour. It’s a popular place.     It’s truly a shack. A tiny shed like structure with a dozen or so picnic tables out front of it. We stepped to the window and browsed the menu which consists or six or so tacos, all of which can be made into burritos or salads as well.   We decided on four tacos between the two of us: one prawn, one fish, and two beef.   When we got there all the tables were occupied, so we sipped Mexican soft drinks and sat on the rocks and watched the ocean surf. It’s quite a beautiful location.   Although it it a busy place, I was struck by how slowly they get food out. In that

Chicken 649, Victoria BC

Chicken 649 Stark white walls, Simple black lettering on the outside of the building. Looks and feels like a fried chicken joint. So what is all the fuss about? When D and I walked up to Chicken 649 which was a bit out of the way from our usual haunting pattern in Victoria, my first thought was… really? I have learned though never to judge, some of the best things I have eaten have come from very dingy little places. We took a table in the corner and I ordered the classic recipe 8 piece chicken with a corn salad, pickles, and a dipping sauce. First of all the chicken came in a pizza box presentation which I thought was really neat, pieces lined up in a row and below them the sauces and the salads, the pickles were Daikon!  This thrilled me as I have an unhealthy addiction to the stuff. It is hard to say much about fried chicken other than it is either good or its not, This was great. The batter was crunchy, had been fried for just the right amount of time as to be dark not

Gowlland Harbour Resort. Quadra Island BC (2.5/10)

I hate complainers. Really truly, I dislike people that complain every day of their lives, send food back at restaurants and make a scene. Well, at Gowlland Harbour resort on Quadra Island BC last Sunday night, we, the foodies were complainers. The scene was beautiful, Gowlland has an excellent venue in Quathiaski Cove right on the water. You travel down a goat trail driveway surrounded by trees giving it the feeling of a grove. The cabins are nestled separately around the main building which contains the restaurant. This was not our first visit to Gowlland, but it was our first visit there alone where we could eat in our “style”. My first thought walking in was that it was very quiet, 7 pm and only a few tables full. This in itself was not a big deal, it was Sunday and Quadra is a small place. Service was friendly and eager to take our drink order, this was all good. We had been looking at the menu on line and had a relative idea as to what we were going to eat. Starte