Skip to main content

Biblio Taco. Cumberland, BC. ( 9.5/10)

  In a small hole-in-the-wall location on Cumberland BC's main drag, lives a hip yet unpretentious taco joint called Biblio Taco. So named because of its location the the Old Library building on Dunsmuir avenue, this place dishes out only a handful of Mexican inspired dishes. I, personally, had been looking forward to trying this place out ever since I heard of it. Mexican food is some of my favourite, so on Saturday Whiskey and I, having no plans, whipped down to the small community of Cumberland for a short afternoon food adventure.
  Biblio Taco has a tiny storefront, and while not all that large inside, has an ample food preparation station set out in full sight taking nearly half the room. The small menu written on a chalk board near the ordering counter describes about a dozen items available. Tacos, burritos, tortillas, huevos rancheros, quesadillas and a few others Mexican treats.  The decor is only a hint of Mexican, it definitely feels of Cumberland, which has a style of all its own. Inside there is a narrow bar that seats a few people, and a larger table for groups.  Out back of the place there is a small courtyard with a few thick tables and seating for maybe 20 more people. The yard was cozy, enclosed by trees, shady and fenced, we opted to eat out here on this very warm afternoon.

  I ordered a beef burrito. I think this classic is the test of a taco joint. If they can't get a beef burrito right, there is no use continuing on. I also decided on a lemon soda to wash it down with, although they are fully licensed and have a nice variety of craft beers, sangria, caesars and margaritas, It was early and hot, and sparkling cold lemon sounded just right. Whiskey ordered a quesadilla and opted for a side of tortilla chips and guacamole while we waited on mains. The tortillas were some of the best I have ever had, very thin and ultra crispy without a hint of deep-fryer grease and seasoned to perfection. The guac was also very good. made with perfectly ripe avocados, it was fresh and clean tasting, if maybe a touch on the bland side.

  As we sat enjoying the crispy chips and sipping my ultra cold soda, I pulled up my smartphone and Google prompted me to check into Biblio Taco.  I was struck by the remarkably mediocre rating this place had, after all I only only heard good things about it.  It turns out, as we learned later from a friend that owns a bookstore a few doors up the street (Rare Bird Bookshop), they had been victim of a disgruntled former employee who had unleashed a small army of trolls to rate down the business. The lesson here is to not always trust meta-ratings when it comes to food spots.

  My burrito arrived quickly. Wrapped in foil and large, I was salivating with anticipation. With the first bite, I knew this was a going to be a good experience. The beef was moist and seasoned nicely, and although the rice and beans within were a bit on the plain side, Bibio Taco's food is served up with a caddy of three house made sauces to spice things up. Pineapple habanero sauce with was very hot, but really delicious. It was sweet and spicy but also with cutting sharpness of fresh pineapple, highly recommended if you can handle the heat. Salsa verde, perfectly balanced, it was hot too, although not close to the habanero and great flavour, probably my favourite of the three. The third was a chipotle (anjo?) sauce, intensely smokey, also hot.

  As I plowed through my huge burrito, scooping guacamole on some bites and dripping various hot sauces on others I realized I was going to have a tough time getting through the entire thing. Not wanting to waste any of this delectable treat, I pushed through until i put it down one bite from finishing the entirety.  Completely sated, and very full, I sipped my still cold soda and gave my fire-dancing tastebuds a break while I contemplated the review I would write and if my pants should need to be loosened a notch.

  I really enjoyed this place, both the casual, cool atmosphere and the comforting delicious food I could eat on a daily basis.

Cheers and Bon appetit,
-D

9/10
(The only criticism I cam muster is that some of the flavours were muted and just slightly on the bland side, but the excellent sauces remedy that just fine.)



Walking in to Biblio Taco I was instantly whisked into a combination of my rumbling stomach and nostalgia , they have completely preserved the feel of the tiny village that they reside in which happens to be my home town.  I had eaten there once before in a bit of a rush with a friend of mine and knew it was somewhere that Chef D and I had to go together.
 I love the fact that the menu is simplistic, a small chalkboard list on the wall indicating if  you are there then you are there for basic delicious Mexican fare, and they deliver what they promise.

 We sat outside in the little courtyard meant to seat maybe 11 in a total of 3 or 4 tables. You forget easily that you are sitting off of the main street of the village, it is quiet and shaded by a huge Rowan tree growing in the backyard next door.
 I  sat eagerly at our picnic style table waiting for my beef quesadilla and indulging in the hand cut tortilla chips and guacamole. I know the chips are made locally and my apologies for not knowing the name of the company, I can only say they are some of the best I have ever had.
  The guacamole is obviously made in house, it had the taste of being  made within hours, I felt it to be slightly under salted but again, that is preference and I really do like my salt.

The quesadilla arrived quickly and was so hot off the grill I could hardly hold it. It was simple, just beef and cheese and melted together in perfection, served with sour cream, more guacamole and a pico de gallo.  The hot sauces ranged from smokey ( and hot ), green ( and hot ) to pineapple habenero ( flaming hot and my favourite ). You do not need much in the way of extra and seasoning in the quesadilla when there are so many add ons that come along.
 I valiantly finished the whole thing and sat back happily stuffed and mopping up the run off from my meal. Mexican should leave you messy, I think it is a rule.

 I really could have sat there all day, this is the kid of place that you wish you could instantly digest so you can order again.  You can also get right into the vibe and pick up a shirt that they sell inside to help promote them or if you just loved it that much.

 The kid in me loves to be able to sit in a place that has so much of my own history but the foodie in my simply loves that there is finally a place where we can go to look after that urge for Mexican street food that strikes without warning.

I will be back for certain, I rarely give a 10/10 but whether I have decided with heart or taste buds, this place has my 10.

Cheer and Bon appetit

~Whiskey G









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tidal Taco Shack, Qualicum Bay, BC.

 This taco joint has been on the Vagrant Foodies “Must Try” list for some time now. We have been hearing good things for a couple years now.   We waited 45 minutes for tacos at a beach-side parking lot, on a hot day with no shade to be found.   To be fair, the wait is always long, and they have a sign posted right near the window stating the wait is usually 30 minutes to an hour. It’s a popular place.     It’s truly a shack. A tiny shed like structure with a dozen or so picnic tables out front of it. We stepped to the window and browsed the menu which consists or six or so tacos, all of which can be made into burritos or salads as well.   We decided on four tacos between the two of us: one prawn, one fish, and two beef.   When we got there all the tables were occupied, so we sipped Mexican soft drinks and sat on the rocks and watched the ocean surf. It’s quite a beautiful location.   Although it it a busy place, I was struck by how slowly they get food out. In that

Chicken 649, Victoria BC

Chicken 649 Stark white walls, Simple black lettering on the outside of the building. Looks and feels like a fried chicken joint. So what is all the fuss about? When D and I walked up to Chicken 649 which was a bit out of the way from our usual haunting pattern in Victoria, my first thought was… really? I have learned though never to judge, some of the best things I have eaten have come from very dingy little places. We took a table in the corner and I ordered the classic recipe 8 piece chicken with a corn salad, pickles, and a dipping sauce. First of all the chicken came in a pizza box presentation which I thought was really neat, pieces lined up in a row and below them the sauces and the salads, the pickles were Daikon!  This thrilled me as I have an unhealthy addiction to the stuff. It is hard to say much about fried chicken other than it is either good or its not, This was great. The batter was crunchy, had been fried for just the right amount of time as to be dark not

Gowlland Harbour Resort. Quadra Island BC (2.5/10)

I hate complainers. Really truly, I dislike people that complain every day of their lives, send food back at restaurants and make a scene. Well, at Gowlland Harbour resort on Quadra Island BC last Sunday night, we, the foodies were complainers. The scene was beautiful, Gowlland has an excellent venue in Quathiaski Cove right on the water. You travel down a goat trail driveway surrounded by trees giving it the feeling of a grove. The cabins are nestled separately around the main building which contains the restaurant. This was not our first visit to Gowlland, but it was our first visit there alone where we could eat in our “style”. My first thought walking in was that it was very quiet, 7 pm and only a few tables full. This in itself was not a big deal, it was Sunday and Quadra is a small place. Service was friendly and eager to take our drink order, this was all good. We had been looking at the menu on line and had a relative idea as to what we were going to eat. Starte