Skip to main content

Spice Hut, Campbell River BC. (7.5/10)

  Like a hug from an old friend, Spice Hut's offerings are familiar and warm.  This is one of my go-to places to eat. Our most recent visit to Spice Hut was on Thursday. Whiskey and I, preparing to go see some live music downtown Campbell River, stopped in for a dinner.

  Spice Hut is a small franchise Indian restaurant, with three locations on Vancouver Island and six in total across western Canada. And while I'm not familiar with the other locations, the one here is quite consistent with the food. The only variance is the spice level, which seems to change on a whim depending on the mood of the cooks that day.  Sometimes I will order a dish with a medium level and I sweat and struggle to get through the meal (I have no aversion to hot food, I often go out of my way to indulge in it, in fact) while other times it has just a trace of warmth.  The flavours are always bang on, however. Seasoned perfectly, (which is good because you wont find salt or any other seasonings to adjust your food on the table) this Indian food is rich and flavourful. It's not exactly what I would would call Indian home cooking, but it's not some kind of western fusion either, it's somewhere in between, Indian cuisine for western palettes, with generous use of cream, garlic and somewhat surprisingly beef.

  Portions at Spice Hut are large. Often I will order a dish, then add basmati rice and/or naan bread. This tends to, more often than not, end up with me taking half home with me for a midnight snack or lunch the next day.  A curious quirk about this place: When you ask to take your unfinished food home with you, they don't wrap it up or container it for you, the simply drop some styrofoam takeout containers on your table and expect you to pack it up by yourself.  This isn't exactly what I would call warm facilitation, and I found it a bit jarring the first couple times, but its a nuance of the place I've become used to and have come to accept.

  We started with chicken pakora, as we almost always do, to set our appetites as we waited for our main course. The tender uneven sized pieces of chicken coated in chickpea flour and dusted with spices were good, as the always are. Not mind-blowing or anything, but good.  They serve this with an amazing green sauce (mint chutney?) of which we ordered an extra portion for good measure.

  On this most recent visit I ordered the Daal Makhni, a vegetarian dish of kidney beans and lentils with a rich mix of butter, cream and tomato sauce spiked with garlic, ginger, and Indian spices. I selected a mild-medium, this dish has a heat at the front of the mouth and on the lips, unlike some of the building heats of an Indian curry dish, and sometimes ordering a medium requires me to consume it a bit slower than my rumbling stomach wanted on this occasion. I mentioned the variance in heat earlier, on this particular occasion the mild-medium Daal Makhni had almost no heat whatsoever.  I wasn't disappointed, as the flavours hold up on their own, but I would have preferred just a touch more warmth.  Added on to this I ordered a portion of naan bread.  I love this. Crispy in just the right amount, served hot, it's the perfect blend of chewy and tender with a fantastic taste of fire.

  Plating at Spice Hut is spartan is say the least with almost no garnish or flourishes, bordering on cafeteria cheesy. Naan comes in plastic baskets like you would find in a oceanside fish and chip joint, and the stoneware is stark white. This doesn't bother me in the least however, sometimes letting the food speak for itself is the way to go. The ambiance of the dining room is nice enough, clean with accents of Indian art scattered throughout.  One small thing, that always draws my eye in a negative way are the menus. Single fold orange and red, they are laminated and often dirty with greasy finger smears. The drink menu is smattered with advertising product logos reminiscent of a race car at Daytona.

  Our server was great (Laura?). She recognized us right away (we haunt this place often) and greeted us with the right balance of banter and professionalism, being attentive to our needs at the right moments without hovering over our table and leaving us be to our privacy when we obviously enraptured in conversation. I really can't find any fault with this particular waiter's service on this or any other occasion we have been lucky enough to get a table in her section. I can't say the same the same for all the servers there. Not that the service has ever been terrible, by any means, but not quite up to the telepathy and promptness of this one.

  Although there are a few gaps in the overall experience, I keep coming back to Spice Hut for the consistently good food. Comfort food. It's not somewhere I'd take someone to impress, but it's somewhere I would have no problem pulling up a seat alone or with good friends to enjoy some warming, overall good Indian grub.

Cheers and bon appetit,
D.

7.5/10
(docked points for overall ambience, spice consistency, and quirky takeout practices, added bonus points for naan bread I could eat with every meal, ever)







Oh Spice hut, the very reason I have a love for Indian food as it was my first experience with it  a few years back.

There is something about this particular place that draws me in every time we walk in the door. A peculiar odor of Indian spices and something else I can never quite place but is not unpleasant.
I love to sit at the far corner table where you can watch the whir and hum of the two chefs working their magic behind the half wall that separates the kitchen from the dining room.
It is like well rehearsed theater, little conversation and perfect symbiosis.

The food, I would be happier if the spice level was more predictable. On this occasion I ordered the Beef Korma at a mild medium spice level. I do not shy away from spicy food either and this time was a little dissapointed that it was much more on the mild side.



I am not a big one for starches and grains so I will often order my meal with an Indian salad. they serve all the fresh veggies naked and chopped in chunks. I treat it like a veggie plate and put the onions right in my dish to give a crunch to my meal.

Consistent, comforting and affordable. Good wine selection, I will often have a yellow tail Shiraz as the big red seems to pair well with the big flavors.

Service is always welcoming and they know us, that goes a long way.

If you are in the area, I would say give this place a try.

Cheers and Bon appetit

Whiskey G

7.5/10


Spice Hut East Indian Cuisine Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tidal Taco Shack, Qualicum Bay, BC.

 This taco joint has been on the Vagrant Foodies “Must Try” list for some time now. We have been hearing good things for a couple years now.   We waited 45 minutes for tacos at a beach-side parking lot, on a hot day with no shade to be found.   To be fair, the wait is always long, and they have a sign posted right near the window stating the wait is usually 30 minutes to an hour. It’s a popular place.     It’s truly a shack. A tiny shed like structure with a dozen or so picnic tables out front of it. We stepped to the window and browsed the menu which consists or six or so tacos, all of which can be made into burritos or salads as well.   We decided on four tacos between the two of us: one prawn, one fish, and two beef.   When we got there all the tables were occupied, so we sipped Mexican soft drinks and sat on the rocks and watched the ocean surf. It’s quite a beautiful location.   Although it it a busy place, I was struck by how slowly they get food out. In that

Chicken 649, Victoria BC

Chicken 649 Stark white walls, Simple black lettering on the outside of the building. Looks and feels like a fried chicken joint. So what is all the fuss about? When D and I walked up to Chicken 649 which was a bit out of the way from our usual haunting pattern in Victoria, my first thought was… really? I have learned though never to judge, some of the best things I have eaten have come from very dingy little places. We took a table in the corner and I ordered the classic recipe 8 piece chicken with a corn salad, pickles, and a dipping sauce. First of all the chicken came in a pizza box presentation which I thought was really neat, pieces lined up in a row and below them the sauces and the salads, the pickles were Daikon!  This thrilled me as I have an unhealthy addiction to the stuff. It is hard to say much about fried chicken other than it is either good or its not, This was great. The batter was crunchy, had been fried for just the right amount of time as to be dark not

Gowlland Harbour Resort. Quadra Island BC (2.5/10)

I hate complainers. Really truly, I dislike people that complain every day of their lives, send food back at restaurants and make a scene. Well, at Gowlland Harbour resort on Quadra Island BC last Sunday night, we, the foodies were complainers. The scene was beautiful, Gowlland has an excellent venue in Quathiaski Cove right on the water. You travel down a goat trail driveway surrounded by trees giving it the feeling of a grove. The cabins are nestled separately around the main building which contains the restaurant. This was not our first visit to Gowlland, but it was our first visit there alone where we could eat in our “style”. My first thought walking in was that it was very quiet, 7 pm and only a few tables full. This in itself was not a big deal, it was Sunday and Quadra is a small place. Service was friendly and eager to take our drink order, this was all good. We had been looking at the menu on line and had a relative idea as to what we were going to eat. Starte